Click here Bookmark this page!

Monday, January 28, 2008

Production Thoughts 3

Since Randy Valiente already mentioned this in his blog entry of "Reality Check", I guess I should spill this already. It has been a battle whether I'll be putting some advertisements in my compiled comic book or not. First, it's not a magazine. It's a book that is bound be kept forever. So why put advertisements in between pages? Would this lessen the value of my book? Archie comics did it but then again, it is a comic magazine. Of course, if I think about it, I haven't really seen a book with advertisements in their pages.

Account executives already presented themselves to me. They were so enthusiastic about pitching Callwork to different companies. I don't even have yet the material or proofs. I haven't even started laying out for the comic strips. I told them I'll be pricing each whole page of advertisement for Php60,000 and up. Black and white. But again, wouldn't my comic book look cheap with the advertisements and all? Imagine, Dilbert or Calvin and Hobbes, they don't have any advertisements endorsing whatever, right?

Am I counting on sponsors to be able to earn through Callwork? No. I'm so positive that this would generate sales. Not only in the Philippines but also in India, US, Caribbean etc. but that comes only after launching the tagalog version book. (how to export and distribute the comic book is still a big grey area) And that's looking forward in the future. Far future. I still have a new personal project to implement related to music business. Yup, I used to be in a band before. (I don't plan to be back in the band ok?) Long time ago when Kamikaze is not yet kamikaze, our first gig was in Tia Maria in Katipunan -AISEC party. We played "Semi-charmed life". I stopped when I was in my last year in College because of internship, parties, thesis and uh boys. Enough about music and back to comics.

I'm counting on my readership sales and not through sponsors. So again, it's still a battle whether to put ads or not. There are also drawbacks if I put some ads inside the book. I might not be able to launch it for book signing in just any call centers because of branding issues. Call centers who would place some ads inside Callwork might not be acceptable for other companies.

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

At 4:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

aheheh AISEC! the conio crowd!

 
At 4:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hmmm... there's no rule in bookstores against putting ads inside a book right?

 
At 3:26 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

It's a common dilemma not only limited to your niche. A little advertisement shouldn't hurt. It will take a little getting used to I believe in your case.

Goodluck. =p

 
At 4:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

you were right about books not having ads inside since it's only applicable for magazines. but if i were you, i would still put in some ads...wala lang

 
At 4:30 PM, Blogger Hazel Manzano said...

harold - agree. AISEC used to be like that. I'm not sure now
Kai - that I dont know yet
Olympics b and silvertooth and jon- thanks for the advice

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Callwork