Click here Bookmark this page!

Tuesday, July 14, 2009

What's next after the call center?

I decided to write down my thoughts about people who have been telling me the same thing over and over for the past years - resignation in the call center. I will not deny this but it also crossed my mind a few times. The number one answer I get is they wanted to have their own business. Okay I said, what business are you looking into? Most of them would give me a shrug, some would say a food cart and majority a uhm... computer shop. Of course I cannot tell you which one would do well or not. It is your choice. It's about your passion. Do you still think a computer cafe will still earn in this time and age? Get real. Except maybe if your shop is located in Philcoa or UP Shopping Center etc. So maybe, it is still location. Same applies with food cart. Are you willing to cook by yourself just in case you were short of people? Are you willing to work including weekends? Even during your sleep?If you do then go ahead with your food business.
The second answer I get is that they wanted a day time job but sadly the pay isn't that high as what they were getting in a call center. Is money everything or time or do yo value your night sleep more than anything else? If ever you take the daytime job, will it be close to your goal? If it does, then it doesn't matter if it will take you 10 years before you get promoted in your new job. It is all about your dream.
Third answer is freelance. Okay. There are a lot of freelance job around here. You just need to take risk. Maybe at first you will be anxious 'coz the money you are getting is not comparable to what you have been earning. First you need to fix your portfolio. Have you written enough stories? Do you have sample articles? You also need to know whom to write in publishing or people in ad agencies or even in online magazines. Know what the market needs.
Whatever it is that you wanted, just do it. There are other jobs out there for you. You don't need to "study again" like the most alibis I get from people resigning. Stick to what you believe. Do that dream job you've always wanted. Open that business but be ready for the challenges because it won't be as easy as being a call center agent. Not even close to being a call center manager. Then, good night sleep is yours. Hopefully, for me too.. soon.

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

At 10:06 AM, Blogger manong calbo said...

That is one of the things that bother me for the past two years and a hot topic between me and my wife.


*Crosses fingers about the lotto prize* hehehe

 
At 11:33 AM, Blogger Quality Assurance Commissar said...

Best of luck and hope for the best!

Please help me pray that I pass the LET and Foreign service exam!

 
At 12:14 PM, Blogger Hazel Manzano said...

QAC - LET exam? Is that the US teacher board exam? Whoa! I will pray for ya!

Manong calbo - and It has been bothering me as well. Being in a call center is an easy money with all the leaves and 5 day work week (unlike other local companies that makes you work 6 days. Easy money but sometimes it can be unfulfilling. No matter how fulfulling you say your job is, it is still unfulfulling in the end. And boy one day you wake up and realized you missed a lot in life...

 
At 11:33 AM, Blogger manong calbo said...

I just spoke with one of my folks last night since she has been sending feelers (wants to resign, workplace not that happy, mojo not there...)

Had to convince her to ride it out and see what happens next year. (Dapat mag pull-out ang account bago tayo). hehehe ^_^

 
At 10:43 AM, Blogger Hazel Manzano said...

manong calbo - that's the hardest, when you get the feeling it so hard to get motivated once again to work

 
At 11:05 AM, Blogger Bag-iw Art Society said...

will you still be doing the comic strips when you stop working on a call center?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Callwork